Info needed of travellers who have exported their vehicles and not sorned them

Janet and Chris George

New Overlander
Feb 22, 2015
I have already posted a question on the Asian link but the replies we are getting are from people who have SORN their vehicles not exported them. We have already been refused entry into Moldova as they say our car is not registered in the U.K. as it’s been exported. luckily we managed to get in via another border. We need to hear from those of you who have travelled Ukraine Russia Mongolia South Korea Japan USA and Canada having exported your vehicles. Did you have any problems or were we just unlucky. Thanks

Although not technically correct, the SORN ing route appears to be the preferred method. At least you get to keep the entire V5 to use on your travel's . It is also easily reversed when you return.

I would be interested the hear the experiences people have when returning their vehicle to the UK after a long absence. Ie its been out of the UK for say 5 years on a SORN

Did you get any any troubles with customs etc on return, Tax bills or general Grief.

What method did you use .

Neil

Generally - out of the two options I would say SORN'ing, is also the better of the two, as they can be many more problems with having an export flag on your vehicle, as several countries to take advantage of the UK system to look up vehicles and check the status, whilst SORN, appears more accepted and having an export flag, and not showing valid registration any longer